Improve Health and Wellness
In December of 2016, Growing Healthy Veterans (Grayslake-Illinois) brought to United Relief Foundation’s attention the benefits of horticultural therapy, which is practiced under many names like Healing Gardens, Victory Gardens, Gardens for Our Heroes, etc.
The education we received over the proceeding months revealed the “compounding the good” potential of creating a Hope and Help program that can be duplicated nationwide
United Relief Foundation’s Independence Gardening will take a holistic (emotional, mental, spiritual and physical) approach using horticulture (the branch of agriculture that deals with growing plants) and horticultural therapy as primary program elements.
Good Done – Mind Body Spirit
• Therapeutic value gained from the independence of being able to plant, nurture and harvest nutritious vegetables
• Increased food and nutrient security
• Compact, durable and movable raised garden beds that are built to be wheelchair and walker accessible
• Soil, seed, supplies and gardening guidelines for Veterans
• Holistic – Horticultural Therapy support for service providers
Compounding the Good
• Veterans, Disability-rated or not, can collaborate on gardening aspects of a single raised-bed
• Building of a raised bed and/or assisting a Disability-rated Veteran used as community, club or corporate engagement project